China Travel Tips

Reflections on Travel in China

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Culture Show in Dunhuang




There are many culture shows in China based on history, individual cultures as well as celebrations. In 22 years of travelling in China, I have seen good ones and bad ones. I recommend only a few of them that I consider outstanding. One of them surprised me as being excellent as it is never included in group tours and only by accident did I find it. Dunhuang on the Silk Road tour is a small city in the desert but very historical and site of the Great Sand Dunes. I was in the city inspecting hotels when I saw a brochure on an evening show there. The guide asked me if I would like to attend it. Not expecting much but having nothing special to do other than check a good restaurant, so I went. The show is a historical show of ballet and music with fantastic costumes in a small theater that I loved. I now include it in all of my tours of the Silk Road. There are no speaking parts which is typical of Chinese shows like this so you don't need a translation. The cost is little but the show was great for such a small town. For more information on shows in China, email me at interlak@eskimo.com

No comments: