China Travel Tips

Reflections on Travel in China

Friday, August 21, 2009

So Called Factory Stores


Many clients when I ask about their interest in shopping will tell me "No Factory Stores" but I beg to differ with them. In some countries or tours they are masks for retail stores; but in China there are what I call craft stores where you can actually see the products being made by hand. Cloisonne pieces are one of them as you can see above where you see the actual 12 steps it goes through by hand to the final product. You don't need to buy but to see the products being made gives you a better appreciation for them. There are many "factories" or "work shops" as the Chinese call them in China that are worth visiting. You can see Rugs, silk, embroidery, jade carving, paintings, etc. etc. being made by artists all hand made. I have shoes hand made and have taken a photo of the person who made them to better appreciate them. I have a painting from a man who paints with his toes as he was born without arms and a photo too. I have learned a real appreciation for Jade after visiting a Jade carving workshop and have a piece in mind that I saw last trip but failed to buy and hope it is still there this fall when I go. I took a photo of it but I didn't pay attention to what I always tell clients. "If you like it; buy it because you may not see it elsewhere in China". For more hints on shopping, please contact me through my web site at www.interlakechinatours.com Tours to China is my business but China history and culture are my passion.

No comments: