China Travel Tips

Reflections on Travel in China

Monday, October 19, 2009

Kashgar Saturday/Sunday Markets




When going on the Silk Road everyone wants to be sure to be in Kashgar on Saturday and or Sunday usually. Actually the Grand Bazaar is open all week long but on weekends expands into one more building with more of the same goods that are available all week long. The only difference is that the Sunday Animal market is only held on Sunday. Pictured above are a few views of the market but it is extremely large and photos do not do it justice. You will find everything under the sun and at bargain prices. I love the hand made inlaid knives and buy a few each time I am in Kashgar. My wife buys the hand made embroideries. We even bought a Ughur silk rug this trip folded up and I carried it home in my back pack. If shopping is your thing you will enjoy the Bazaar as well as the wonderful Ughur food which I have become fond of and crave when I am on the Silk Road. I have added two more tours as extensions from Kashgar and Urumqi along and around the Takamankan desert to the ancient town of Hotan which actually has markets as famous as Kashgar but not as convenient being on the southwest part of the desert. Both new extension tours are now available as packages however we do custom private tours to any place you wish to visit. Check out our web site at www.interlakechinatours.com  Click on the photos for full screen viewing.

No comments: